Rogers Hometown Hockey is Heading to Welland, November 9 and 10
– Festival taking place at Welland Civic Square – NHL alumni Dan Girardi and Dan Paille to join the weekend festivities
TORONTO (October 25, 2019) RogersTM Hometown HockeyTM Tour presented by Scotiabank and Hyundai is heading to Welland on November 9 and 10 to celebrate more of the game that brings us together. Hosts Ron MacLean and Tara Slone will be on site for the festivities, which include meet-and-greet opportunities with NHL alumni Dan Girardi and Dan Paille, live local entertainment, and the live Sportsnet NHL broadcast.
The two-day hockey festival begins on Saturday, November 9 at Noon EST at Welland Civic Square, 60 East Main St, and will conclude on Sunday evening following the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. The evening’s broadcast gets underway with a special pre-game show hosted by MacLean and Slone live from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 6:30 p.m. EST, followed by a showdown between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks, on Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW and NHL LIVE.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Festival Details:
The free hockey-themed weekend features games, prize giveaways, fun activities, and live local entertainment for the whole family, including:
• Rogers Fan Hub: Celebrate more of the game that brings us together with fun and interactive hockey experiences. Fill out your Fan Profile for a chance to win exclusive Rogers Moments, enjoy autograph signings with NHL alumni Dan Girardi, test your stickhandling with the Infinite Dangles challenge, and grab some free popcorn!
• Sportsnet Shooting Accuracy Game: Fans race against the clock to snipe as many targets as possible before time runs out! A digital scoreboard tracks the best scores from the day, and from the other Tour stops across the country. Players of all ages can show off their hockey skills and see how they match up to NHL stars and alumni with fantastic prizes to be won!
• Steve Goodtime Rockin’ Hockey Show: Come see Steve Goodtime, our world-renowned hockey acrobat! Steve performs his incredible family-friendly rock n’ roll hockey show packed with fire, juggling, stunts, and guitar solos. The event will be rocked!
• Scotiabank Community Hockey Rink: A family-friendly outdoor hockey space designed to engage hockey fans who can interact with NHL alumni Dan Paille and celebrate the game. Scotiabank will also be donating $15,000 in support of kids’ community hockey at each tour stop this season.
• Hyundai Drives Hockey: Hyundai displays on festival grounds will feature games and challenges for kids and parents alike. Opportunities to test-drive and interact with the entire range of five Hyundai SUVs will demonstrate how Hyundai is made for those who drive hockey. Fans will have the chance to win on-site giveaways, weekend prizes as well as an overall grand prize for the season.
• Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a complimentary slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza fresh out of the oven, and learn more about the Find Giuseppe contest with many great prizes to be won!
• Playmobil Kids Zone: Fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures. In the zone, fans will also be able to enter to win an NHL playset.
• Sobeys Community Barbeque: Sobeys is proud to support the Community Barbeque through a food donation. All funds raised this weekend will go towards supporting the Welland Minor Hockey Association.
• Live Local Entertainment: Live music featured throughout the weekend beginning with Riley Michaels performing on Saturday followed by Jessica Wilson on Sunday.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Event and Broadcast Details
• Welland Civic Square – 60 East Main St
• Saturday, November 9 – Festival open from Noon to 6 p.m. EST.
• Sunday, November 10 – Festival opens at Noon EST and runs through the end of the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party.
• Special Guests:
o NHL alumni Paul Bissonnette, Daniel Paille and Dan Girardi
• Game Matchup:
o Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Chicago Blackhawks, 6:30 p.m. EST (Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW, NHL LIVE)
o Sobeys Home Team Heroes: Welland’s very own Nick Vitucci has had quite the hockey career. He’s a lifetime minor league goalie with a tonne of records, including being the only goalie in professional hockey to be credited with scoring on a guarded net. With 30 years of pro hockey experience, Vitucci played goal at the OHL, AHL, IHL and ECHL levels, spent two season under contract with the St. Louis Blues, and even played professional roller hockey. After more than 500 professional games played, Vitucci was inducted into the ECHL Hall of Fame in 2008. Upon his retirement, Vitucci transitioned into the coaching ranks, serving as Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations for the ECHL’s Toledo Storm and Toledo Walleye organizations, and was voted ECHL Coach of the Year in 2004. Since the start of the 2016-17 season, Vitucci has been a professional scout with the New Jersey Devils.
o My Hometown Must: Bissonnette gives MacLean and Slone a tour of his hometown and the rink where it all began.